Featured Post

To the Team

This post will be updated weekly with prayer request. To those of you that have fought on the front lines in prayer for myself, my ministry ...

Sunday, October 21, 2012

If His grace is an ocean oh I am sinking


“And He is jealous from me, loves like a hurricane, I am a tree
Bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy
When all of a sudden I am unaware of these afflictions
Eclipsed by glory and I realize just how beautiful You are
And how great Your affections are for me
And oh, how He loves us, oh
Oh, how He loves us, how He loves us all

And He is jealous from me, loves like a hurricane, I am a tree
Bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy
When all of a sudden I am unaware of these afflictions
Eclipsed by glory and I realize just how beautiful You are
And how great Your affections are for me
Oh, how He loves, yeah, He loves us
Oh, how He loves us, oh, how He loves us
Oh, how He loves

And we are His portion and He is our prize
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes
If His grace is an ocean, we're all sinking

And heaven meets earth like an unforeseen kiss
And my heart turns violently inside of my chest
I don't have time to maintain these regrets
When I think about the way
Oh, how He loves us, oh
Oh, how He loves us, how He loves all
How He loves

I failed. I fell, and I didn't want to get up. This time I had made a promise to Him that I really thought I could maintain. But I FAILED! It was the worst feeling in my entire life, honestly I was sick to my stomach and hated myself for letting it happen, heck for making it happen. And for a week or two I just was too ashamed to even ask for forgiveness, I didn't deserve it this time, this time it felt different, so I just tried to stay out of His way. I prayed for the people, organizations, and causes that still deserved His time and attention, but not for me. I didn't enter into His presence, I couldn't, there just is no way He could still accept me.
I feel like we all get to this point. We all let the Devil wear the mask of Jesus. We assume that Christ's limitations in his love for us is equal to our limitations in our love for others. It isn't. God sent his son to cover the sin that you just committed, that when you go to Him and repent, He acts as if it never happened. Yes there will be consequences and a few scars, but He still loves you, and He can redeem anything! I mean ANYTHING! You are perfectly broken, perfectly scarred, perfectly imperfect for the perfect, all covering blood and love of our Savior, Father, and Lord. 

The song “How He Loves Us” was put in my heart a long time ago. The first time was August 25, I don't really know why, but at the end of my quite time that day I wrote in big letters "HE LOVES. OH HOW HE LOVES." The NEXT DAY we were getting ready to have a Hurricane and my mom sent me this text as I was recovering from a concussion and unable to do ANYTHING.
"When you are in the winds of the hurricane today look at the David Crowder song "oh how he loves us" and think he is bending you and covering you with his mercy. I so love you, but nothing like he does.  That should encourage you cause you tangibly experience how much I love you.  May your body continue to heal as you are made to stop." 
When I went to do my devo that night I realized that I had written those lyrics just the night before, and found it odd that a song I have not heard for so long would pop up in two separate occasions. Since then it has come up at three other key points in my life, as a song of healing and hope for what so often seems like a bleak future. 

My favorite part is... 

And we are His portion and He is our prize

Drawn to redemption by the GRACE in His eyes

If His grace is an ocean, we're all sinking
  
And heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss

And my heart turns violently inside of my chest

I don't have time to maintain these regrets

When I think about the way

HE LOVES US!!!

When our worship band played this, I was sitting there in my chair, too ashamed to stand and crying. I felt Him say to me "I have things too big to allow you to sit there and REGRET what has happened.  REPENT and get on with it." See my problem lies in the third sentence in this post... "I had made a promise to Him that I really thought I could maintain." Neither you nor I will ever overtake a sin. That is why we need Him first; He comes and loves us while we are dirty and sloppy just as our parents loved us when we were born. It is not a pretty sight, but because it is theirs they love the ugly alien covered in nasty fluids. WE ARE HIS! We can never forget that, I can never forget that. He wants to hold you NOW, He knows that you can never clean yourself, so He sent His Son to clean you and the Holy Spirit to teach you how to stay clean. It is hard, I get it, I fail, and you will too! Good news is... this world, and your life is not about who you are or what you do, but rather who God is and what He has done, is doing and will do! We just get an awesome opportunity to get in on the action and adventure as He gives us an abundant life. Don't be ashamed of the mess you are in, be grateful for grace, love, and the one that will come and clean it up as you repent. 


Watch this video as the man who wrote the song explains his story and heart behind the song, and remember God is made perfect in our weaknesses. 

http://vimeo.com/10868953

No comments:

Post a Comment